Kannur Greenline kerala also known as Cannanore, is a city and a municipality in Kannur district in the Indian state of Kerala. It is the administrative headquarters of the district of Kannur. It is known as Land of Looms and Lores. During British rule in India, Kannur was known by its Portuguese name of Cannanore which is still in fairly common usage. This is the largest city of North Malabar. Kannur Municipality was established in 1867 and is one of the oldest municipalities in Kerala.
According to the data compiled by Indicus Analytics, a research firm, Kannur is one of the ten best cities in India to live. The parameters set by this firm are in the field of health, education, environment, safety, public facilities and entertainment for preparing the data.
Kannur Greenline kerala is the fourth largest urban agglomeration in Kerala after Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode, and has a population of 4,98,207. Kannur is known as the land of looms and lores, because of the loom industries functioning in the district and festivals held in temples. Kannur is famous for its pristine beaches; Theyyam, its native performing art; and its handloom industry.
Kannur Greenline kerala is of great strategic military importance. It houses one of the 62 military cantonments in the country, the Kannur Cantonment, and is the current seat of the Defence Security Corps.
Places in Kannur by Greenline kerala. Kannur City Centre on Fort Road Shenoy Centre on Fort Road
1) Indian Naval Academy It is Asia's largest naval academy located at Ezhimala which is approximately 35 km north of Kannur.
2) St. Angelo Fort It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy of India, Dom Francisco de Almeida. In 1663, the Dutch captured it and then in 1772, they sold the fort to the Arakkal King. In 1790, the British Captured it and it was under British until 1947. 3) Payyambalam Beach is a famous Kannur beach with an unbroken coastline of a few kilometres. From the beach, one can see ships in transit along the Malabar coast, from beyond Calicut (Kozhikode) moving towards Mangalore, Goa and Bombay (Mumbai). The well laid out garden and the massive landscaped sculpture of Mother and Child erected by noted sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman makes it extremely captivating. 4) Arakkal Museum, located in Ayikkara, is a museum dedicated to the Arakkal family, the only Muslim royal family in Kerala, south India. The museum is actually a section of the Arakkalkettu (Arakkal Palace). The durbar hall section of the palace has been converted into a museum by the Government of Kerala. It was opened in July 2005 after a massive renovation work and is managed by the Arakkal Family Trust. 5) The Cannanore Lighthouse near the Sea View Park is another place of interest. The first lighthouse at Kannur was built in 1843 by the British at St. Angelo's Fort. Over the years, the lighthouse was renovated and in 1948, it was moved to the current location. The lighthouse is still in use. 6) The Cannanore Cantonment is one of the 62 cantonments in the country and the only one in Kerala. It was established by the British in the 19th century and is still an important location for Indian armed forces 7) The Defence Security Corps (DSC) Centre and DSC Records is located in Kannur town, on the road to Payyambalam Beach. The area is a part of the Cannanore Cantonment and is well-maintained by the Cantonment Board. The DSC centre at Kannur is the mother depot to all platoons in the country. 8) Baby Beach, so-called because it is smaller than its larger neighbour, Payyambalam Beach. St. Angelo Fort is adjacent to it. The baby beach is part of the Cannanore Cantonment and access may be restricted at times. 9) Meenkunnu Beach at Azhikode, just a few kilometres from the town. 10) Mopla Bay in Ayikkara, near the St. Angelo fort, is a major fishing harbor overlooking the Arabian Sea. 11) The Azhikkal Ferry — near Azhikode, about 10 km from Kannur town, where the Valapattanam river joins the Arabian sea. The Azhikkal ferry gives a magnificent view of the sunset. There is a granite pathway here which stretches 2 km into the sea. 12) The Kannur City Center is a prominent shopping center on Fort Road. 13) The Sea View Park, near the Payyambalam beach is overlooked by the Government Guest House. The Park is at an elevation from the sea level and gives a magnificent view of the sunset. 14) Kannur Central Bus Terminal,its Kerala's biggest bus terminal, located at Thavakkara,its also India's first bus terminal to be developed on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis. 15) Vismaya amusement park,the Vismaya amusement park is at Parassinikadavu, 17 km from Kannur town. The amusement park is located in 30 acres of land and can handle 3,000-3,500 visitors at a time. 16) Peralassery Subrahmanya Swami Kshetram, 14 km from Kannur on Koothuparamba Road. It has been believed that Lord Rama stayed here when he was going in search of Sita Devi. 17) Anjarakandy,Asias largest Cinanamon estate is here 18 km from Kannur which was established by East India company in 1797 as a cinnamon plantation. A historical war between Pazhassi raja and British army was fought out from here in the year 1803, Kannur Medical college is also located here . 18) Muzhappilangad beach - The biggest drive-in beach in Asia. 19) Parassinikadavu Sree Muthappan, - A beautiful kshetram (Temple) river side, Thousands of people visit there.
Greenline kerala takes you to the Palarivattom is a place in the city of Cochin in Ernakulam district in the state of Kerala, India. It is an important commercial area. The place gained importance when The District Collectorate was shifted to Kakkanad. The location was so underdeveloped at the time shoppers had to go to Ernakulam for goods.
Palarivattom St. George Orthodox Valiyapally is situated at Palarivattom Junction in Cochin, near the IT hub of Kerala. The foundation Stone was laid in 1986 and consecrated in 1987 as a chapel of St Mary's Orthodox Cathedral, Ernakulam, with 145 members. On 1st April 1991 the church was declared as an independent parish. In 17 years the church had commendable growth in all activities and presently having 685 members. The church has been elevated as "Valiyapally" on 9th March, 2008.
There are several notable Temples, churches, and mosques in the area. The older of the temples is Raja Rajeswary Temple where the presiding deity is Jala Durga.It so happens there will always be a drizzle at the pakalpuram during the festival. The newer but more popular temple is Hari Hara Sudha Temple where as the name goes the presiding deity is Lord Ayyappa. Maha Ganapathy,Mahadeva,sree Parvathy, Lord Muruga,Hanuman,Navagraha and Nagaraja also are present in the temple There is a charming life size statue of Sree Narayana Guru in the compound. Another important center is the old Church of St John The Baptist which is located away from the main commercial hub. The nearest bus stop of the church is pallinada. The church has a wast compound and a good auditorium. St Martin de Porus church in the mainroad was recently renovated and has become an important landmark of Palarivattom. The new Mosque on the mainroad is unique in that women are allowed in for Namaskaram.
The prestigious Cochin Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium is on the border of Palarivattom. Actually the stadium is in palarivattom not in Kaloor.
Palarivattom is notorious for its traffic bottlenecks. The Cochin bypass road and Palarivattom Junction have to be crossed to reach town.
There is a Government run Yatrinivas for tourists. A major hotel is Hotel Renaissance on NH 47 and another major hotel is Alappat Residency on the MKK Nayar road are other places to stay.
The most important local roads are North Janatha and South Janatha roads.